Project Greta – Still cleaning and painting!

Works been getting busy but I’ve been spending whatever time I could over the last month cleaning and painting the engine and transmission. I got the block degreased and painted, the valve cover cleaned and primed and the transmission relatively clean. I’m not going to paint the trans… To clean the trans I used to… Continue Reading Project Greta – Still cleaning and painting!

Stuck on slow… NASA American Iron Javelin update

So With the car all reassembled after the 3rd link repair it was time to get out for another test session. I loaded up and headed to the track. Weather was great. Unfortunately there were no real Trans-Am cars testing. I had gotten spoiled. The last two test days I had come to had Trans-… Continue Reading Stuck on slow… NASA American Iron Javelin update

Project Greta – that’s alotta GRIME!

With the engine and trans out of the Gremlin it was time to get the oil pan cleaned up and painted so I could put it back together with fresh gaskets. Now, cleaning 40 yrs of grime off of engine parts is not my idea of a good time. BUT, I could not bring myself… Continue Reading Project Greta – that’s alotta GRIME!

The “bars” are back in town – NASA American Iron Javelin Update…

Got the Javelin back from Evil Genius Racing. The 3rd link mount has been fixed. They plated a much larger area around the 3rd link box and added the support bars the car originally had from the main hoop to the sides of the box. These bars are also thicker than they were the first… Continue Reading The “bars” are back in town – NASA American Iron Javelin Update…

Project: Greta! engine pull

I’ve had the brown ’75 Gremlin (Greta) for over a year now. When I first got it, I got it running, fixed some lights that were out and took it on a drive to the local grocery store. On that trip I discovered that the clutch slipped really bad. I also found out that the… Continue Reading Project: Greta! engine pull

Race Report – STRIKE THREE!!! NASA American Iron Javelin update

So the continuing fiasco of getting back into racing the Javelin continues. After the 2nd test was a partial fail (car ran but something was up with the brakes) I only had 3 days until the race weekend. Couldn’t find anything wrong with the car so I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the… Continue Reading Race Report – STRIKE THREE!!! NASA American Iron Javelin update

Testing fail – strike TWO! NASA American Iron Javelin upate

After the first test was a total fail I wasn’t 100% sure what the problem was. Best guess was the rack was bad so I went to Napa and got a replacement. Got the rack swapped out and reset the toe. I also pulled a little caster out because that was another guess. Maybe too… Continue Reading Testing fail – strike TWO! NASA American Iron Javelin upate

Testing Fail… NASA American Iron Javelin update

After all the work done to the car over the last several months it was finally time to get it back on track for a test. First I had to renew my NASA license. After my 2015 competition license arrived in the mail I checked the Sonoma calendar for test days and signed up for… Continue Reading Testing Fail… NASA American Iron Javelin update

Finishing touches… NASA American Iron Javelin update

With the exhaust done I was down to the last few items on my list… 1. Finalize the scale/alignment 2. Make extensions for the front spoiler and make it easily removable 3. Put vents in the hood for air extraction 4. Make an upper grill area block off panel to help manage air through the… Continue Reading Finishing touches… NASA American Iron Javelin update

Exhaust Redo… NASA American Iron AMC Javelin update

Now that the car was 2″ lower the problem became ground clearance. The long tube headers were only an inch + from the ground. This was expected but I wanted to take everything one step at a time. Well, now it was time to deal with the problem. When Don was up one day he… Continue Reading Exhaust Redo… NASA American Iron AMC Javelin update